Monday 26 December 2016

[COP3]Character design

Mike suggested me to reconsider about the character design because it should be created based on fact instead of any shapes that just look good. Therefore I had some scientific facts about molecules from my pharmacist friend, produced other character designs according to that.

Initial Sketches
Knowing the bond angle of the molecules, it is better to include them in the design. I do not expect audience would understand the design at the first place but it would be quite surprising if they found of that the design is relatable. CO2 is one big carbon and two oxygen so I am creating an oxygen that would appeal on its own also when bonded with carbon.



Colours


It gives me a feeling that oxygen should be blue because of the lightness?(although molecules are all super light). There is no sign that these molecules originally have colours so I decide to use blue to contrast the inner body also would stands out from other organic colours. I use orange for carbon, a more solid colour but not as intense as red, giving it a grounded personality and it would be moving less airy than oxygen. In order to make two molecules more recognisable, I darken CO2's colour to give an impression that it is a greenhouse gas. Being a waste product does not feel good I suppose so a darker colour also allow more story in the character design.


I want to introduce as much texture as possible. However I found difficult finding airy texture and a molecule-like texture... Instead of just randomly arrange the texture, i did my best collecting various material. I absolutely enjoy layering the textures on the shapes, testing out different effects in photoshop makes textures pop out so as to become a very unique design. 

Oxygen:Canvas texture
Co2: fabric print and sponge fibre
Nitrogen: Sponge fibre and butter in the middle
Neon: Aubergine skin


I did not like the canvas texture on oxygen because it makes it very plain and solid. I hope to show light weight and airiness of this molecule. I do not like the fibre texture(from a sponge) on Co2 on top right and nitrogen on bottom left neither. The material make them stiff and dull. The different in colour should be enough for recognising the character so I could light up the colour a bit in order to soften out the look. I like neon on bottom right and i use neon colour as well so I am keeping this design.

Oxygen: Watercolour paper
Carbon dioxide: Kitchen roll and fabric print
Nitrogen: Knit and butter in the middle
Neon: Aubergine

This is the final design design that I am happy with. I scanned in a watercolour paper for oxygen on top left. It gives it a airy/ smoky appearance that match the floaty oxygen impression. Carbon dioxide's oxygen is replaced by tissue paper. Visually looking light weight but the darker colour tone down it a bit but the same tone of colour should inform audience that they are same material in different stage. Knittings in Nitrogen gives a strong bond appearance to it. Keeping Neon the same. I test it on pinkish red background to see whether they pop inside the body. I am very happy with the design and will soon start the production.

No comments:

Post a Comment